ADVENTURES IN SOLITUDE

A small town girl takes on the world

Sunday, December 6, 2009

lockdown!

We had a lockdown on Friday, during 5th period. We had just had a drill last week, so we knew that this was a serious thing. There had also been a pretty significant fight at lunch involving a girl whose family sometimes gets involved, so that's what my mentor teacher thought might be going on.

We found out later that a neighbor had reported gunshots in the park next to the school, so we were locked down until the sheriff could search the area and declare it clear.

We were only locked down for about ten minutes, but it was pretty adrenaline-filled. I was in charge of locking the door, and the entire ten minutes all I could think about was whether I had actually locked it or not (even though I checked it when I locked it).

Since then, I've had a few dreams about people coming into schools with weapons and taking people hostage. Yuck. It was in those ten minutes of lockdown that I realized just how responsible I am for those kids....it was a sobering thought.

Anyway, that's the news of the day! Happy, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment